Daily Wisdom

February 09, 2006

Hawkeye Invited To BBC Radio Debate

I was very surprised and somewhat flattered to receive an E-mail today from the BBC which read as follows...

Hello,

The BBC World Service has a daily interactive radio programme called World Have Your Say, and today we are discussing Syrian reaction to Condoleeza Rice's accusation that Syria and Iran are responsible for stirring up anti-West violence. Having seen your blog, we would like to invite you to take part in our radio debate, which will also involve a Syrian ambassador.

The programme broadcasts today at 1800 GMT (1300 New York time), but I would like to talk this through with you as soon as possible. Is there a number I can call you on?

Thanks,

Priya Shah
Radio Producer
World Have Your Say
BBC World Service

Unfortunately, by the time I had read the E-mail it was well past show time. My first reaction... "Aw, bloody 'ell". (Just kidding.) Actually, I can write somewhat better than I can speak (so, you can imagine just how bad I must be in person). Anyway, I don't think I'm quite up to a radio debate yet.

I looked up today's programme at the BBC website and found the following Here...

WORLD have your say
Thursday, 9 February 2006, 20:04 GMT

HOW TO TAKE PART
Listen live on the BBC World
Service and online at 1800
GMT Monday to Friday

Your comments on the Thursday programme - Fiona - 2000 GMT

Dr Hosan Hafez from the Syrian Embassey and Farid Pouya an Iranian Blogger for Global Voices took your calls.

We heard your opinion of Syria and Iran following Condoleeza Rice's suggestion that the cartoon protests are being stoked by some governments for their own ends.

You sent us your comments:

America must stop the blame game which she is waging against states which do follow her way of thinking. --Mokon

If we truly understand the meaning of Islam, we need to stop our protest and focus on preaching peace and harmony. --Mohammed, Monrovia, Liberia

Enough already with the cartoon caper. What's left to say other than stop reporting it, as the story has run it's course. What's the catch phrase used so fondly by the politically correct gang? Move on- so yes indeed, let's go. --Maura Collins, Limerick Ireland

So fellow "Viewers", I just wanted you to know that as far as my 15 minutes of fame... Well, (in my best "Get Smart" impersonation) "I missed it by that much". Thanks for "Viewing".

UPDATE: It appears that the link I included in the article above changes every day to reflect the current day's programming, and I don't think they archive old pages. I did find a cached page from January 31, 2006 which gives you a feel for the page layout and is actually discussing the same topic. Sorry... best I could do.

6 Comments:

At 2/09/2006 9:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, rats! That wouldn't been a great experience.

 
At 2/10/2006 4:01 AM , Blogger camojack said...

Is this true?!

 
At 2/10/2006 7:45 AM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

First Libby's shout out, and now this? And to think, we knew ye when....

 
At 2/10/2006 8:07 AM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Amy,
"wouldn't" or... "would've"? Maybe both? hee, hee.

Camo,
Absolutely. I probably should have opened with Scott's line... "This is not satire."

Marge,
You still know me "when" because "then" ain't come yet.

 
At 2/10/2006 8:11 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Kajun,
No, not famous yet. Missed my chance I'm afraid. I wonder how they found my blog though? Either they stumbled upon it by accident, or maybe it showed up on some crazy Google search or something. Funny, but I can't even find me on Google!

Best regards,
Hawkeye

 
At 2/11/2006 5:39 AM , Blogger camojack said...

Hmmm...I wonder then, too, how they found out about your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home