Daily Wisdom

August 11, 2005

Study: Men Don't Hear Women Well

LONDON, UK -- A new scientific study has revealed what women have surmised for years; that is, that men just don't listen. According to the study, men are just a bit denser than their female counterparts. "I knew it. I knew it," said one suburban housewife. "My hubby just never listens. He forgets what I tell him. He gets everything confused.... I always thought he was just a bit daft".

The study, performed by researchers at Sheffield University in northern England, connected electrodes to a "sizable group" of football (i.e., soccer) enthusiasts as they watched "the telly". According to the brainwave patterns, all of the men in the study group had "difficulties listening to women's voices" while watching football.

In a similar experiment, the researchers examined brainwave patterns of men who were "channel surfing". The results were the same. Men who take control of the "remote" are most likely to have difficulty listening to a woman's voice.

A spokesman for Sheffield University deflected tough questions from reporters regarding both the cost of the study and its source of funding.

11 Comments:

At 8/11/2005 7:51 PM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Naaaaaaah. The remote has nothing to do with it. It's GENETIC I tells ya! Inborn as part of the male gender. My boy's only 9 and he already exhibits this terrible malady many times a day! Does Kajun's book have a cure for it??? Inquiring minds want to know!

(!!!!!!!!!!!--extra !'s to add at will.)

 
At 8/11/2005 7:52 PM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Man I am on TOP of this blog!

 
At 8/11/2005 7:57 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Marge,
And... you are ALWAYS welcome.

P.S.-- You may be right about that GENETIC thingy.

 
At 8/11/2005 8:04 PM , Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

I always blame it on me being a musician in my younger years. I tell Mrs. Gone " you stand in front of a 400 watt bass guitar amplifier for 10 years". I don't think she believes me....

 
At 8/11/2005 8:12 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Libby Gone™,
Yeah, I agree with Mrs. Gone... that's just an excuse. You may indeed have measurable hearing loss, but let's face it... most guys normally don't pay complete attention. They're thinking about something else like the game on TV (or maybe the model train layout they're working on at the moment?). Of course, there are some guys who exhibit early signs of Alzheimer's disease... but I think that's a stretch.

Regards,
Hawkeye®

 
At 8/12/2005 4:02 AM , Blogger camojack said...

It's called selective hearing, and it's from conditioning, not design...

 
At 8/12/2005 9:23 AM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Right after being online last night, I had an exteme example of this.

Me: Is the dog under the couch?
Nick: Huh?
Me: Lift the skirt on the front of the couch and look to see if she's under there.
Nick: Huh?
Me: Look at the floor at the front of the couch.
Nick: (looking everywhere but the floor) Wha?
Me: Look at the floor.
Nick: (looking everywhere but the floor) Wha?
Me: LOOK at the FLOOR! (pointing with my finger, downward)
Nick: (looking everywhere but the floor) Huh?
Me: NICHOLAS! Listen to me, look at me! (make eye contact) Do you understand the words 'look at the floor'?
Nick: Yes
Me: Then LOOK (pointing downward again) at the FLOOR (directing his eyeline) in Front of the Couch. There. There. Lift the edge, that is the skirt. LOOK to see if Natasha is there. Jeesh!

Welcome to my world.

 
At 8/12/2005 9:26 AM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

Of course, it goes both ways. One of the absolutely funniest things I've ever read on the web is a Rachel Lucas screed titled, "Six Inch Wood" from May of this year I believe. I cried my stomach hurt from laughing so hard.

 
At 8/12/2005 12:07 PM , Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

margeinmi,
I'm sorry did you say something?

 
At 8/12/2005 3:38 PM , Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Marge,
I'm sorry... did you say something?

 
At 8/13/2005 10:14 AM , Blogger MargeinMI said...

libby gone and hawkeye:

:oP

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home